Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Kerala: houseboats and vegetation

 

 

 

 


Plants are not often on my mind. It's not that I ignore them but usually I just pause a few seconds to look at something and forget about it. In Kerala whenever I was on the road and not seeing relatives I was looking at plants and thinking about them. For example these water hyacinths: the locals think it's a pest and call it weed and I'm sure they have their reasons. But these little plants can actually live in both sweet and salt water and therefore most have some kind of salt filter. A lot of plants have huge leaves and I just loved looking at those, I guess because we don't have them at home.
I didn't have time for a trip on a houseboat but I got a chance to take a few photographs. Some are palaces, bigger than my entire appartment (probably double the size) full of luxury items but I kind of liked the simpler versions, without flatscreen TV, where you have more of a connection with the environment....
Posted by Picasa

No comments: