Sunday, May 22, 2005

The nature of an (academic) argument

You are exposed to persuasion about 18 hours a day. Actually persuasion is working right now. If you are still reading these lines I have persuaded you, that the time you are taking to read this is worth it.
In Switzerland we have to vote four times a year. The issues are diverse, coming up on
June 5:
-whether or not Switzerland should sign the Schengen contract
-if same sex couples should be given the right to register themselves (similar to marriage)
and some other stuff.
In attempt to make an “informed decision” people read the papers, watch TV and listen to debates. What follows is confusion. How on earth should I know what to do if everything which is said somehow contradicts something else? To come to a halfway decent conclusion we have to know the nature of an argument in general.

1. Arguments are about persuasion. It is crucial to understand why people support or disapprove something or the other. Think as a lawyer: who profits if something happens or does not happen?
2. Anybody can create an argument supported by evidence. If I show you my guinea-pig and state it has a serious depression and needs urgent treatment because my wellbeing depends on the wellbeing of my guinea-pig you’ll probably just laugh. Now if I show you, that patches of hair have fallen out, that my guinea-pig doesn’t eat anything anymore (not even it’s favourite bits of Swiss quality chocolate) and that I even know someone who takes anti-depressant because her pet died, which was her only friend in the world and in fact ten percent of all the patients in loony bins are there because of their pets, you might start believing me. Maybe you’ll even agree on driving me to the pet-psychologist (which costs you fuel and time). BUT what I haven’t told you is this:
I shaved my guinea-pig, didn’t feed it and wanted you to drive me to the pet-psychologist because I have an affair with him. I want an alibi in case my husband gets too nosy.
Be critical. These people are paid to make people believe anything.

So ask yourself: Who says what and why?

No comments: