Monday, June 06, 2005

Coldplay X & Y review

After skipping through, this CD has the usual Coldplay effect: slows down the heart beat and I feel at ease. But I also have the feeling that the songwriting has gotten weaker. There are less abstract songs and more normal love songs.

X1 Square One
The beginning reminds me of Enigma. Faster than usual and apart from Chris' voice there is not much about this song which is Coldplay like. Maybe the last minute.

X2 What If
Starts with the piano like everybody loves anyway but this is one of the songs I consider to be weak. Questions about life and love asked thousands of times this way. Nothing fresh about it.

X3 White Shadows
One of the faster tracks, the background is kind of typical Coldplay. I like the lyrics but it's too loud for my taste. The organ at the end sounds like a song played at a funeral and it links perfectly to X4.

X4 Fix You
At first you find yourself at a chapel with the organs playing. I like this touch of holyness in some weird way. My favourite song. The only thing I don't like is that the lyrics are predictable something I normally really hate. But this song is just too good. After 2 minutes and 38 seconds there is a filler which I've heard hundreds of times before but it fits perfectly well.

X5 Talk
Catchy melody and in the middle again this churchy sound. One of the faster tracks, louder than usual. The lyrics are not bad.

X6 X&Y
This reminds me of a song I can't remember. A little bit too much Ooohh for my taste.

Y1 Speed of Sound
I like this, it's similar to Clocks. But don't think the whole record is this kind of style, it's not.

Y2 A Message
The message you don't have to be alone is not really something new but nevertheless this easy-going guitar song is relaxing in the good old Coldplay way.

Y3 Low
The beginning reminds me of Jimmy Eat World. This beat and the background make me nervous. Don't listen to this if you want to relax.

Y4 The Hardest Part
There are elements of REM's Loosing my Religion in this song, just imagine Coldplay would have covered it and taken out and added a few things.

Y5 Swallowed in the Sea
The rhymes are rather predictable but the lyrics are still interesting because they managed to make something new with all the used words and messages. Cool metaphors.

Y6 Twisted Logic
How can you go forward when you go backwords? Well it's not as twisted as I thought.

Bonus Track
This is the kind of song you'd like to hear when the pic-nic with your boyfriend ends in him making a fire and playing on the guitar he's hidden behind the tree. Nothing new but like an intimate prayer. I love this simple song.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hey Aaron, yeah Yellow is still one of the best songs ever.