Friday, June 24, 2005

No news is bad news

I tried hard to come up with good news but I gave up. There is none around. That doesn't mean that my life is depressing, there are just no good news which I think would be worth sharing. But why is that?
I tried hard to remember the last time people came together to celebrate something spontaneously. This is what I thought of:
1. When the name of the new pope was announced.
2. When Jacko was cleared.
3. When Greece won the European Championship.

So it's religion, sports, entertainment and ceremonies which make people come together and celebrate. Three out of these five aren't modern and because we're in post-modernism it seems we're moving away from everything which makes us celebrate. But are our lives less happier because of this? Hmm, there are studies which suggest that we laugh less than we used to. I read somewhere that the average Brit laughs 6 minutes a day. Man that's sad, I mean that's only 0.004% of the day. So is modernism actually making us grumpier? It looks like we're developing technically and in terms of productivity but that at the same time basic skills like how to laugh, socialize, use our language correctly and understand each other are on the decline. We're becoming apes again, highly developed but nevertheless depressive apes. Hmm, I'm hungry I'll have a banana now.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Ghosh I didn't get it that it was you until now;-) By the way I couldn't access your blog, don't know why...