Sunday, June 05, 2005

If you were a fruit fly scientists could make you a homo

Reading the below mentioned article I was really puzzled. What reason would evolution have to let a simple gene alteration prevent animals from reproducing, the ultimate goal of evolution? As I wrote in a previous post there are examples of homo animals not only humans. Why is evolution sabotaging itself?
Trying to answer this question I remembered a study I once read which was carried out with rats. The happiest rats were those which had enough to eat and enough space. As soon as there were more rats around they started fighting even if all of them had enough food. In this light I’m pretty much a rat and I’m sure most of you out there are one too. We just hate it if we don’t have enough space.
This would mean that evolution’s goal is not uncontrolled reproduction (growth) but that the creatures actually have all they need. That would suit Lord Layard’s ideas about happiness (see yesterdays post) and it makes sense to me. Nothing is made to grow forever, after a while it's all about maintaining what is there. Scientific research just started revealing it. Just wonder how long politicians and economists will have to understand and accept this.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050603/80/fkelm.html

No comments: