Saturday, December 03, 2005

Do we deserve democracy?

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill

I know I'm kind of schizophrenic: on the one hand I whole-heartedly agree with Winston. There are times when I seriously fantasise about kindnapping half of my fellow Swiss (or half of the U.S.) and incarcerate them in the looney bins round the country. Personally.
When returning down to earth, I usually figure out that it would be easier just to go live in one myself.
Honestly, it's politcally incorrect but what use is the right to vote if every twit believing every shit has the right to do so as well???

On the other hand everybody (including me;-) thinks they're smart enough for democracy. This is a tricky one. It's like what Voltaire said:
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
He gets the point.

Enjoy your freedom to say 'the President is an idiot'. There are countries where you'd be tortured for that. But thank God, your country or whoever else by preparing to meet Churchill in heaven; and prove that his quote is wrong.

No comments: